JOANN Fabric and Craft Stores sought to build brand awareness and drive in-store sales by securing local TV news coverage in key markets across the U.S. Sweeney designed an approach to target morning network affiliate talk shows, using local JOANN talent to conduct seasonal DIY on-air segments featuring products and projects available in-store. The ultimate goals included:
- Continue to build brand awareness for JOANN as a leading inspiration destination for crafting, DIY and home entertainment
- Secure coverage in local markets across the U.S. with a focus on specific markets based on sales and acquisitions
- Drive traffic and sales to the local store.
The metrics used to gauge the campaign success were the total number of segments secured, total number of markets where coverage was secured and impressions. Between August 2015 and June 2017, the campaign garnered:
- 300 on-air appearances in 39 markets
- 114.6 million impressions
Additional the campaign won three prestigious industry awards from Bulldog Reporter, PR News and the PRSA North Carolina chapter.