Union Bank & Trust is the first Virginia-based regional bank in more than 20 years following two significant acquisitions – Xenith Bank and Access National Bank. The result is a bank large enough to challenge large national banks like Bank of America and BB&T, yet nimble enough to compete with local, community banks. The acquisitions fueled new leadership, expanded geographical reach and new products and services.
This provided a unique opportunity for Union Bank & Trust to tell a new story. The challenge was the bank did not have a formal publicity and media relations strategy or program and had limited media relationships. Working alongside a new Vice President, Director of Corporate Communications, Sweeney developed and implemented a strategic publicity and media relations plan. The goal was to develop strong relationships with the Virginia media and the banking trade media, and establish Union as a trusted thought leader and expert in the financial space as they worked to shape and tell a new story.
- Form relationships with primary editorial contacts at the local and state levels, as well as key banking trade.
- Create awareness for the bank throughout Virginia as Virginia’s regional bank.
- Establish the Vice President, Director of Corporate Communications, as the key media contact.
- Establish bank leadership as financial experts.
- Secure quality media coverage from key media outlets.